Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Lace Attempt #1 - Fail.

As I blogged about in my 2010 Knitting Resolutions, I really want to start knitting lace. I have queued a number of lace patterns on Ravelry for a while, but either I didn't have the right yarn, didn't have the right yardage, didn't like that specific pattern, etc. I finally, finally, FINALLY found my ideal pattern. Hooray! I decided on the CashSilk Fern Scarf (ravelry link) because I liked the relative simplicity of the scarf, but it is a gorgeous scarf.
So tonight, I decided that I was going to cast on for this scarf. I dug through my craft room, and found a size 3, 24" circular needle, and then dug through my yarn to find some lace yarn for the project. I considered using the Cashmere/Wool Laceweight yarn that I bought as a 26th birthday to me present from Mad Angel Creations, but I decided against it for now...I'm not sure I really "see" this pattern with this yarn, though I could end up proving to be wrong. Instead, I picked out this beauty- KnitPicks Shimmer in Turquoise Splendor.
KnitPicks Shimmer in Turquoise Splendor
So, I cast on the required number of stitches, and knitted the first row. The needles I picked out (MeiMei Pro Bamboo)...NOT working. I think I need a metal needle of some sort. Unfortunately, my KnitPicks Interchangeable needles only go down to a size 4, and this requires a size 3. I checked some other Ravelers project notes, and going to size 4 doesn't seem like a good plan. So for now, the project is halted until I can get a metal needle with a pointy tip. Possibly a KnitPicks fixed circular either in the Nickel-Plated or Harmony Wood, or maybe an Addi Lace. We shall see.
In the meantime, I'm going to try and figure out a different project until I can get my hands on the required needle. :)

No comments: