Saturday, May 22, 2010

April/May/June(!?!?!) Lady Sweater and a Lace Scarf

It has been a while since I've been able to update because I had to go almost 2 weeks without knitting anything. Oh, the horrors! I somehow managed to hurt my back a few weeks ago so I spent quite a bit of the last week and a half or so lying in bed or on the floor. Good times. My back is feeling better now, so I have been able to resume working on my February Lady Sweater, which started out as the April Lady Sweater, then became the April/May Lady Sweater but at this rate, it is soon to be the April/May/June Lady Sweater! If I have to tag on July too....well....
I am still working on the body of the sweater, though I'm about 3/4ths of the way done with that part! I have not yet worked out how I am going to do the sleeves. I don't think I have DPNs in size 8 (and my size 7dpns are only 5" long so I'm not sure they'd work for the sleeves either) and I don't know that I want to buy them. I may try doing the sleeves with Magic Loop. That might not be a bad first ML "project" but I'll work that out later. :)
I took a couple of progress photos tonight to show what I've gotten done so far. My preferred method is to take a picture into a mirror but I wasn't able to do this for two reasons- 1. can't use flash that way, 2. I don't have a full length mirror at this house...
April/May Lady Sweater Progress 5.21.2010

A/M LS Progress 5.21.2010 #2

A/M LS Progress 5.21.2010 #3
Anyway, I am super excited about how the sweater is coming along. I was a little disappointed at first because the first two skeins of the Kettle Dyed Wool of the Andes was more or less a solid red, but all of the skeins since then have been more variegated in the shades of wine/red. I think I am on skein 6, but I'll have to check. I bought 10 skeins for the project since I didn't know how the sizing would work out. I'm glad I waited a while to start this since I bought the yarn almost a year ago and I was between 15-20 pounds heavier then, so I might have had to make the Medium instead of the small and risk it not fitting now! I know I will definitely have yarn left over, so I might make a hat and maybe a scarf or mittens (depending on how much is leftover) to match the sweater. :)
I was also going through my craft room and starting to take more of a mental inventory of what's in there. I found some random skeins in a box, and one of them was a partially used skein of Simply Soft in the Autumn Red that I had used when I started swatching for the filet crochet afghan that I made in '07. Since it was partially used, I ripped out the project, but of course I didn't want to tote around yarn barf, so I wound it on my ball winder. For some reason, I hate having acrylic yarn in yarn cakes, so I decided I wanted to use it up, fast. I was flipping through my pattern binder and found a printout of the Lion Brand Lace Scarf. I printed this out a few years ago but put it in my binder and forgot about it. I figured this would be a good lace scarf project and should use up the bulk of this skein of Simply Soft. I am not sure how it will work with acrylic though, so I may have to do an experiment with "killing" acrylic after I'm done...
Lion Lace Scarf progress 5.19 #2
And finally- I am hoping that this weekend will yield some Kool-Aid dyeing! I went to Goodwill on Monday and bought a microwave safe plastic measuring cup (I used to have on just like it when I was in college...used to make ramen in it...blech) and another microwave safe bowl for under $5. I don't want to ruin any of my bowls and stain them with Kool-Aid. I have cherry, black cherry, lemon-lime, orange, grape, ice blue raspberry lemonade and surfin' berry punch to experiment with! I am going to try dyeing the KP bare yarns I have (two skeins of merino fingering wool and one skein of superwash merino/nylon fingering weight) and I might try "overdyeing" some Andy's Merino yarn I got a few years ago from Farmhouse Yarns. The yarn is lovely, I'm just not in love with a lot of the colors I have. Naturally, if I do end up dyeing tomorrow, I will document it with pictures. :) I am hoping to get my dyeing in soon, because one of the skeins of the KP Bare fingering weight merino is going to be a Traveling Woman scarf (ravelry link) and I am dying (no pun intended, har har) to start that shawl. :)

No comments: