Wednesday, December 30, 2009

New yarn and new ideas!

So, I didn't really accomplish any sort of Christmas knitting this year, but that's okay with me. I have lots of time on my hands now, and a lot of stash to knit from...however, that didn't stop me from buying some new yarn and new supplies yesterday. :)
Yesterday, I got together with Emily B and Emily H in order to go searching for some new crafty things (ie yarn). Emily H stopped by my house yesterday, and we headed over to Beans and Barley on the East Side for lunch. We met Emily B there, but there was a 45 minute wait for a table. We decided instead to head over to Alterra on Humboldt instead where there were tasty sandwiches and soups, as well as yummy drinks. Although, it took them a while to make my hot chocolate....but I digress.
Next was a stop at Loop Yarn Shop, which coincidentally happens to be right next door to Alterra. Perfect.
We spent a while browsing and looking at all of the different yarns. I was on a quest to find some yarn to make Bella's Mittens, while I do not like Twilight and Kristen Stewart actually makes me want to punch babies, I LOVE these mittens. Originally, I had hoped to find some Malabrigo to make these mittens, but while they had quite a bit of Malabrigo chunky at Loop, there just weren't any colors there that jumped out at me as something that needs to be made into Bella's Mittens.
I finally settled on some Lamb's Pride Bulky by Brown Sheep in Winter Blue. It's really pretty and should be really warm.
Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride Bulky, Winter Blue

I also found an S crochet hook at Loop! I was very excited. I have wanted to make a 5 and 1/2 hour throw by LionBrand for a while, but last year the largest hook I could find was a P hook. Not quite big enough for triple-stranding the yarn. But yesterday I was successful!
Susan Bates S Hook

So, the trip to Loop was successful. I do like that store and I like that it is right next to Alterra. :)

Even though a trip to Loop only would constitute a successful yarn shopping day, later on in the day, Andy & I had to run errands, and I also ended up taking a trip to Michaels out on Brown Deer Road on a quest to get the yarn for the Jayne Hat (ravelry link) I am planning on making. I settled on Vanna's Choice in Brick, Rust and Mustard.
Vanna's Choice for Jayne Hat

I also found some Lion Brand Wool-Ease, it is called White/Multi which basically means it is white with a sparkly strand in it too. :) I am going to make a hat out of it, but I'm not sure what pattern to use yet. I am thinking possibly the Sutro Heights Hat, or maybe a cabled hat of some sort. White, sparkly yarn will go with my black coat, my red coat AND my gray coat. Yay!
Lion Brand Wool-Ease, White/Multi (Sparkly!)

Here's hoping for some projects to be posted soon!

No comments: